The purpose of this article is to outline protocols for preserving office productivity when knowledge industry team members are required to work out of their homes.
- ‘Work’ is the transformation of information/ knowledge to action.
- Work consists of tasks, some of which must be performed in sequence, some not.
- Different tasks need different skills, so a team approach featuring cooperation and collaboration is key to productivity.
The big question is how does an organization preserve productivity following a transition from on-location teams to virtual teams?
We can approach the question by examining the various attributes of work (what, why, who, when and where).
What – transform information/knowledge into action.
Why – to build, sustain and augment Competitive Advantage.
Who – different skills\individuals based on different needs at workflow tasks.
When – as and when tasks along workflows become “current”.
Where – at the office, now at home.
Essentials for at-a-distance Task Management
- Agree on tasks and their sequencing i.e. map out your processes, compile them to build an inventory of workflow templates for use at projects/initiatives.
- Roll out your templates to a workflow/workload Case Management Platform i.e. ACM/BPM (Adaptive Case Management/Business Process Management), featuring a workflow engine that auto-posts tasks to the attention of workers, complete with the required skill set tags to enable workers to take “ownership” of specific tasks.
- Provide facilities for workers at tasks to view project/initiative data, perform work, highlight progress, record data/observations at tasks, and declare tasks to be complete when the time is right.
- Allow workers to communicate with peers with supervisors re tasks that are current along project/initiative workflows/timelines. i.e. User1-> task -> reachout -> task -> User2 response -> task -> User1. Do not use e-mail.
- Allow workers to micro-schedule their tasks.
- Allow supervisors to use workload management tools (i.e. R.A.L.B. – Resource Allocation, Leveling and Balancing) to adjust priorities across Cases\tasks.
- Build up project/initiative Case Histories so that workers can view progress, improve decision-making at tasks and anticipate/plan future progress.
Success with digital transformation
For quick results, contact a hands-on consultant or facilitator who can walk you through the eight steps detailed in “How to Install BPM in a Corporation”.
BPM is key to workflow management – BPM process templates provide background orchestration to guide project/incident management and facilitate decision-making at key process points along workflows.